Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yummy Granola Bars

Being a new mommy one of the hardest things for me to do is EAT. This is a real challenge because ordinarily I absolutely LOVE food. Since having Jace I have struggled with my diet because I am breastfeeding and he apparently has some food allergies, meaning it is MY diet that takes the hit. Until we know for sure what's on his no-eat list, mommy must sacrifice. My pre-pregnancy weight was 115 pounds. My post-pregnancy weight is 101 (after having gained 5 pounds). First, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress; and second, Jace is just now getting to where he will give me just a few minutes to eat (hence the weight gain - thanks Jace!). So with that, I NEED TO EAT AS MUCH AS I CAN.

Jace is also NON-STOP. For example, today he took one nap for 30 minutes and another for 10 minutes...this is since he woke up this morning...and he is STILL going strong, fighting his sleep, and I am playing trade-off with my mother for both our sanity's sake...talk about exhausting! So, one of the things I am working really hard on is finding ways to squeeze meals into the seemingly impossible schedule he keeps. This means having as much as I can prepared ahead of time; things I can put together in a matter of minutes or snacks to grab and go. One of the quick energy snacks I have fallen in love with are these homemade granola bars. I love granola bars and never had I considered making my own. But I did, and I can honestly say I will never turn back to any store-bought granola bars, ever.

Below is the recipe I found online at www.allrecipes.com. It is fabulous! I use it as a foundational recipe to which I add things like flax seed, dried papaya & mango, cranberry, raisins, varying nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, my list goes on. Periodically I make some substitutions to see just how healthy I can get with it (whole wheat flour instead of white, a little less sugar, etc.). The bars come out thick, while nice and chewy. I love being able to reach for something quick, healthy and tasty. And I love the idea of making things at home that I used to rely solely on the grocer to provide. So, here's the recipe. If you test it out, let me know what you think; and let me know if you come up with any interesting substitutions I can try. I love experimenting. Bon apetit!

Playgroup Granola Bars

You will need:

*   2 cups rolled oats
*   3/4 cup packed brown sugar
*   1/2 cup wheat germ
*   3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*   1 cup all-purpose flour
*   3/4 cup raisins (optional)
*   3/4 teaspoon salt
*   1/2 cup honey
*   1 egg, beaten
*   1/2 cup vegetable oil
*   2 teaspoons vanilla extract

To create your granola bars:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Spray your baking pan/dish with a pan spray. The original recipe calls for a 9x13 inch baking pan. You can customize this recipe by creating fun shaped granola bars with specialty pans. For instance, you can make granola shaped like cupcakes or bake it in a character pan for fun.

3. Mix oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, salt, and raisins . At this time you can add additional items for personal taste. Common granola bars items include: nuts, coconut, chocolate chips for a treat, peanut butter for protein, and even dried fruit will make fun items for variety.

4. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla.

5. Pack the granola mixture into the pan and distribute the mixture evenly in the pan or add to cupcake liners if you prefer.

6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the bars when they begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment