Tuesday, September 14, 2010

He Makes All Things New


Photo by Jordyn Lorenz
Sunday 9/12/2010 started out as a typical hot and smoldering September day in Houston. It later turned into an extremely dark, cloudy, thunderous, lightening-filled, storm-threatening evening…the kind of day I absolutely LOVE. It was time for Jace and my evening walk, but surely I wasn't going to take him out in weather like this? Oh, but how could I not? It was the kind of weather that made me tingle inside. It was gloomy, clouds were rolling in and out, the wind was blowing, leaves rustling. A perfect day. And yes, I most certainly was going to take Jace out in this weather, so he could share one of my moments with me.

We slowly strolled up and down the street, feeling the wind, listening to the thunder, being startled by the lightening. All of a sudden, I looked up and saw the image seen in the picture above. It was a sky full of dark gray clouds, with just a small portion of snow white clouds peeping out from behind them. That’s not all…the sun cast an ever-so-bright glare onto the white cloud, illuminating it against the midnight sky. It was unbelievable. It looked unreal, like something from an issue of Life magazine. Now this was some of God’s most amazing artistry. All I could say was, “Jace, look!” as I stared in amazement.

The first thought that came to mind after I took in the beauty of the imagery was, "that's life, sitting right in the sky at this very moment." It went from being a beautiful sunny day, to one of the darkest and scariest stormy days we’ve seen this season…all in a matter of moments. But what was so profound about the image in the sky, almost as if God allowed it to happen in slow motion so we could “get it,” was that the sun and the beautiful full clouds never left. They were always there. They were just covered up by the other darker, more transient clouds. And just because those clouds rolled in, with all their thunder and lightening to boot, nothing could erase what was behind them, sheer beauty. What’s more, I got to see that the “beauty” was far more stable and long lasting than the other. It just was. It sat there, in its majesty, never moving.; yet seemingly being overtaken by something far less attractive in comparison. But once the storm subsided, I looked up, and there they were…the sun and the puffy white clouds, as if to say, "Oh no, we're not going anywhere."

This was a powerful lesson. It was a moment in time where God used art to teach me, through illustration, what it meant to have my beautiful life overtaken by storms. He showed me that the beauty was still there; that it had never left. He told me that the threat and sound of the storm were enough to make me run for cover, but that the most stable thing, in spite of it all, is really the beauty. Sometimes it fills the sky, and other times it only peeps through, but is it always…always…there. I just have to search for it.

This let me know that I am on the right track as I search for the beauty in this gift called Jace. But it now expands to all of my life. Storms come on all fronts, as they certainly have in my life in the recent months. But this artwork was God’s way of nudging me to say, “Daughter, I believe there is enough beauty peeping through in your life now where you can see it…take a look.” And as the day and night progressed, I did just that. Quietly and even subconsciously, I searched, and I found beauty. Things that were unsightly, just one day prior, had transformed and had become beautiful. Not all things, but some…enough for me to see that there really was something peeping through, with just a bit of a sunshine glow. Powerful.

THEN I saw a new sky (heaven) and a new earth, for the former sky and the former earth had passed away (vanished). And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, all arrayed like a bride beautified and adorned for her husband. Then I heard a mighty voice from the throne and I perceived its distinct words, saying, See! The abode of God is with men, and He will live (encamp, tent) among them; and they shall be His people, and God shall personally be with them and be their God. God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more, neither shall there be anguish (sorrow and mourning) nor grief nor pain any more, for the old conditions and the former order of things have passed away. And He Who is seated on the throne said, See! I make all things new. Also He said, Record this, for these sayings are faithful (accurate, incorruptible, and trustworthy) and true (genuine) [Revelations 21:1-5, Amp].

So, I am recording what I saw, because it is faithful and true…He who is seated on the throne will make ALL things new. And boy, am I glad for that!

Photo courtesy of Listfied.com
Today’s “Mommy-Notable Moment" – sharing the fullness of a brewing storm with Jace. Feeling the elements and observing the change in the earth as we prepared for a shift in nature. Having this most welcomed and beloved sensory experience with Jace for the first time goes down as one of our best moments together. And I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment